Can you use an air fryer to dehydrate food? Yes, you can use an air fryer to dehydrate foods like fruits, meats & veggies.
To dehydrate food, the air fryer needs a low heat setting and a good air venting system. To preserve the enzymes in your dehydrated food, you will need to find a model that goes as low as 112 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can you use an air fryer to dehydrate food?
Most of the air fryers comes with a dedicated dehydrate option. First, pre-heat the air fryer for 3-5 mins. After that, put the food that you want to dehydrate and click on the dehydrate option. Then close the door of the air fryer.
After sometime, your food will be dehydrated.
Dehydrating Fruits in Air Fryer
Here’s how to dehydrate fruits in an Air Fryer:
- Cut the food into thin slices.
- Stack the slices into the air fryer racks and make sure that two slices does have space between them.
- Start the air fryer and pre-heat it for 3 mins.
- Set the temperature below 150 F and choose the dehydrator option from the settings.
- Cook the food for anywhere between 30-60 mins depending on the thickness of the slices.
Benefits of Dehydrating Food
Our ancestors used to rely on Sun on to dehydrate food. They just left fruits in an open area under the Sun and the Sun does the rest. Even today many local tribes use this method to store dry fruits like Raisin (Kismis), Banana, Apple, etc.
In today’s world, we have commercial equipment and home appliances that can remove bacteria-forming moisture.
Benefits of dehydrating foods includes:
#1- Bacteria and Contamination Free
Dehydrated foods run a very low risk of bacteria, fungal growth, and contamination. Bacteria and fungi thrive in wet and moist environments.
By eliminating moisture from your foods, you ensure the longest shelf life of your stored snacks and goodies. Remember to store them in sealed and airtight containers that are moisture-proof.
#2- Healthy Snacks
By dehydrating foods like Apples, Bananas, Cherries, Strawberries, you can them as a snack. You can add them to salads, oatmeal, baked goods, and smoothies.
#3- Travel friendly
You can take your dehydrated foods on your road trips, trekking, camping, and hiking. Dehydrated foods keep their nutritional value and can be rehydrated in liquids.
Difference between air fryer & dehydrator
An Air fryer uses hot air (can be more than 112 F) to remove water from the food you’ve placed in the basket or tray. On the other hand, a dehydrator uses a flow of warm air usually within 112 F to remove all the water content. This process requires much more time than an air fryer.
Benefits of using an air fryer dehydrator
- An air fryer requires less time to dehydrate a food be it fruits, herbs or meat when compared with a dehydrator.
- You can use an air fryer with toaster oven to dehydrate a lot of food by placing them in racks.
- While dehydrator foods taste a little awkward, an air fryer dehydrated food will be much crispier like chips.
Drawbacks of using an air fryer dehydrator
- Small air fryers don’t come with dehydrate option. So if you’re planning to buy an air fryer check the product description to look for dehydrate option.
- As an air fryer produces hot air above 112 F temperature, it doesn’t preserve enzymes.
What to do if your air fryer doesn’t have a dehydrate option?
If your air fryer doesn’t have any dehydrate option, you can choose a low-temperature setting (below or near 112 F/45 C) and cook the food for 5- 30 minutes depending on the volume.
Is air fryer preserve enzymes when dehydrating?
Many air fryers don’t preserve enzymes when dehydrating foods. Buy maintaining a low temperature within 45 C/112 F will likely preserve enzymes. Also, remember to cook the food for less time compared to a food dehydrator to retain its nutrition value.
How long does it take to dehydrate bananas in an air fryer?
dehydrating herbs in air fryer
dehydrating meat in air fryer
Best Air fryer Dehydrator Combo
things to remember when dehydrating in an air fryer
is an air fryer a dehydrator?
what to dehydrate in an air fryer?
Hope you’ve liked our post on can you use an air fryer to dehydrate foods. Yes, you can use an air fryer as a dehydrator by using lower temperature settings with longer times of cooking.
We’ve also showed you step by step on how to dehydrate foods in an air fryer with images. We’ve also talked about things to remember when dehydrating foods in air fryers.
If you’ve any query, let us know in the comment section!